MZ Riders    
A Community for owners and riders of MZ Motorcycles, Scooters, and ATVs.    

Black Panther rider in Santa Cruz, CA?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AtomicSpew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Black Panther rider in Santa Cruz, CA? Reply with quote

Was out riding my Baggy on Saturday looking for trouble, practicing wheelies (still trying to get the hang of the 2nd-gear pop-up, but first-gear off-the-line jobs are about all I can muster for now), scaring soccer-mom's in their stupid SUV's, etc., and just when I was done putting the bike up for the night and driving home, I spot a fellow MZer on a Black Panther looking quite Hooliganish. Anybody know who it was? Would love to hook up with fellow SuMo riders, but especially MZ riders!

Give a shout if it was you, or if you know who it was...

phlat65

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best way to get 2nd gear wheelies is to start from about 15 mph, use the grunt of the motor, one pop of the clutch, and the front is skyward!! very easy to get it to the balance point from there, and carry them pretty far. just be careful of the shift to 3rd......
AtomicSpew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you shifting out of first into 2nd with this method, or are you rolling in 2nd, pulling in the clutch, then letting it out? I've read elsewhere that coming out of 1st at about 10-15 mph, shifting into second (pre-maturely, if under normal riding conditions) and just pegging it will get the wheel up with all that torque working, but I'm afraid of pulling it all the way over before I realize what's happening. Should I just trust myself/the bike that it won't come all the way over? I know I need to get back on the seat when I do this; any other hints?

Thanks-
AS

92 XT225

Every time Bush lies, GOD kills a kitty...
phlat65

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I pull it up in 2nd, with a quick blip of the clutch, it feels like it should go over backward, but the ballance point of this bike is near vertical. just don't lean forward, and start small......
AtomicSpew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phlat65 wrote:
and start small......

Sounds like experience talking! Don't worry, I may be a full-blooded Aries with adreneline to spare, but I like my purty bike, too! Thanks for the tips--I'll let you know how it goes...

92 XT225

e

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phlat65 wrote:
yes, I pull it up in 2nd, with a quick blip of the clutch, it feels like it should go over backward, but the ballance point of this bike is near vertical. just don't lean forward, and start small......

what happens if you lean forward?! (sounds like an ominous warning)

e
keithcross

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you lean forward it will make it harder or even stop the front comming up.

Keith

tuny

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clutch? never used the cluch fore wheelieing, just crop the power a second and swing it open in 1 time give it a little hand and you'l see, if i try reel hard i can get it up even in 3e gear without the cluch, its just that precise moment in the vers you need to learn. never pulled it on its back zo don't worry its not so easy as you think, the bike hase huge engine brake so just close the trottle and he will come down.
OLDMTNCARVER

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AtomicSpew,
Ride up Zayante, down Bear Creek, up 236, up Jamison Creek, Hang a right up to Lockheeds gates then a U down the ridge, left down Felton Empire. Then click the heels of your boots three times saying:)
There's no place like home!
And as at sometime in the summer you dangle your toes over the side of your boat on Loch Lomond as the afternoon sun warms your carcass...well lifes good...when you ride a Baghira.
OMC
OLDMTNCARVER

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS,
Up to Empire from Felton is just flat smokin'
OLDMTNCARVER

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PPSS,
Try not to damage the mailbox with your shoulder at the right hander a couple before the decreaseing radius switchback!
AtomicSpew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMC-
Sounds like a great ride. I've done variations of it (getting 'lost' mostly, and just finding my way home), but that looks like a great route. Yes, Felton to Empire is a blast--lots of those roads up in Bonny Doon are great IF you know them well enough (don't ask)...

By chance, did I meet you on the streets of Scotts Valley a few months back? I was on the red Baggy and somebody (you, I suspect) stopped me in front of my friends house and we chatted for a bit about Baggy's. Let me know if that was you!

A.S.

92 XT225

MSW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my Black Panther in March '05, I liked the way it looked, the way it rode, and the price. But I didn't REALLY know what this bike was capable of, and didn't really LOVE it until I took it up to Jamison Creek Rd. That deserted, bumpy, twisty bit of asphalt (and dirt, and pine needles, and rocks) is why this bike was created.

Love Empire Grade too, but always get nervous that there might be some LEOs waiting around the next bend.

Hope to see you guys out there on the road one of these days!

AtomicSpew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSW-
I live off Smith Grade Rd, which as you probably know is off Empire Grade. You need worry less about LE (I've rarely, and I mean rarely, seen them 'north' of the Smith Grade turn-off--they hang mostly down by the UC) than you do need to worry about the locals who completely cross the DYL through all those twisties.

There's a guy who used to live on Smith Grade who's now moved further up Empire Grade--he drives a black Jetta, late '90's model I'm guessing--that you really need to look out for. He'll try to bait you, race you, whatever, and he knows NO limits. He used to drive an old rear-wheel drive Olds, and he would set-up for the turns entirely in the opposite lane before entering a turn, which he would drift through. Decent driving skills, but he's a nut-job who's going to kill someone some day. I was going to leave him a note at his old house before he moved, but never got to it. I was actually concerned about him coming outside with the shotgun if he heard me coming up to the house...

FYI, Smith Grade is covered in loose pine needles, etc., now after the storms, so be careful if you're out and about this weekend. I can't believe there are 3 Baggy's within a few miles of each other up there! I'm not usually one for group rides ("I'm a loner, Dotty"), but 3 MZ's ripping through Bonny Doon could be fun. The dude that runs SMHooligans.com also lives in Santa Cruz (he rides a Husky SM), and he's always out on weekends. Getting a group of 4 or 5+ SM's could be a kick. Your thoughts?

92 XT225

OLDMTNCARVER

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: SC Hooligans Reply with quote

I was going through old posts, saw "B.P. rider in S.C. Ca." and thought, not that many around, very cool!
Yes, I was the Baghira rider that you talked with in Scotts Valley a few months ago. Hey, big thanks for steering me to this forum, way cool!
As MSW says, the Baghira was made for these mountains!
I stay away from Alices and Skyline as those ridges have become better known and way too dangerous since the mid/late '70s.
I prefer the middle of the week, right after the commuters have left the mountains for "the pit" (San Jose, Ca.) before I go into my "back yard",
where I grew up.
I play in and work in these mountains. The family line goes back to the 1800's, really!
The good parts few know and I love 'em!
Hey, Mediterranean climate, wicked cool twistys, what more could you ask?
My '01 Baghira is getting some changes in the next couple of months.
I've had some fun teaseing Wonky and really enjoy seeing somebody takeing the time to personalize and upgrade their bike and I get the sense that the folks at Slipstream should be guideing the folks at MZ Inc.
I figure that the M4 & carbs will be all for this year but if time allows, upside down forks (thanks to fasrnu) and some changes to the plastic will also happen. I'll be shareing all and include the moulds as the process happens.
I'm about to approach a resourse for a 2nd generation Ducati MH swingarm and hope to adapt it as it's just too cool and at that time I'm thinking that BST carbon rims to button up the chassis!
I've got to thank you again as the few words that have shown me this forum and have been an inspiration!!!
PS, As far as the kittens, your ridin' a cat!
Hey, you gotta kill it before you can grill it, WEIDMANNSHEIL!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MZ/MuZ Riders Forum Index :: Main Lobby All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: