MZ Riders    
A Community for owners and riders of MZ Motorcycles, Scooters, and ATVs.    

jobs to do

View previous topic :: View next topic  
handsomejackuk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: jobs to do Reply with quote

Hi,

Just wheeled my baghira out of the shed after a 2 month layup and seems like it is turning to powder !!!! Just give it a quick clean tonight. i need info on the folllowing bits.... can anyone tell me the size of brake bleed nipples front and rear standard caliper ? Dont want to take out the nipples out until i have replacement ready Stainless steel are about £7 each. my wheels are getting real hard work to keep clean. rusty spokes, and powdery rims my front is not to bad but my rear will need some elbow grease to get back into shape. Rear disk bolts are rusting badly has anyone had experience getting these out the original material looks real soft and think i may have to drill and retap.... with stainless. sidestand needs polishing / painting /wire brushing. Any tips gladly received

Al
keithcross

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has taken a lot of hard work to keep my rims reasonable on my Baghira, I used the bike all year long through the summer and teh winter with all of the salt that brings. To protect the wheel rims I paint them with thinned down pertroleum jelly and it seems to work quite well. I still clean the wheel s througherly about once a month though.
As for the sprocket bolts, they are really soft. I have replaced mine with hex headed bolts in normal high tensile steel. If you really want to use stainless steel, be very careful of which grade you use. Some types are at the other end of the Galvanic scale to alloy and the allot sprocket carrier may corrode badly id you are do not use a special grease. Also some grades of stainless steel are not very strong in tensile stregth and can strrech during normal use.
For information on the galvanic scale and its effects see the link below:
http://www.roofhelp.com/galvanicscale.htm

Keith

handsomejackuk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: thanks 4 that Reply with quote

Hii,

Removed my rear caliper 2nite stripped and painted it black. reasembled and copper greased sliders pins and back of pads. need to get some new ends put on my brake hoses as they are all furred up not to keen on replacing the entire hose as only the ends are scabby. as for the disk bolts not tackled them yet think i will get the whell off give it a real good clean and get it on the bench think i may have to drill out the disk bolts as they have gone to far. did phone a local guy up acouple of months ago about replacing my spokes and rebuilding my whell with stainless spokes so may get that done whn i got time,...
kendo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Rear caliper bleeder size. Reply with quote

I had a problem with the bleed nipple on my rear caliper leaking (see my last post), i looked into getting a stainless replacement but the ones on the Baghira are a strange setup with the bleeder tightening down onto a steel ball which in turn is forced into a tapered seat sealing the caliper. I have never seen this before and neither had any of the suppliers that i tried, so i had to go to BSA regal for the original parts.(bleeder & ball @ £9 delivered)

Kendo.

ps -- Who did you contact regarding the wheel rebuild with S/S spokes and what was the estimated cost ?
Fil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean about the spokes, rims and disc bolts.

My spokes went rusty very quickly (and I cleaned them pretty regularly...).

I ended up getting new stainless ones made up. Then I decided to get the hubs powdercoated, and then I discovered that the disc bolts are made of chocolate. I ended up 'drifting' them round with a chisel - what I mean is you place the chisel at an angle on one side of the bolt head, and knock it round in the direction you undo the bolt. This was enough to get them out.

I thought about stainless, but as Keith says, stainless isn't always as strong as the steel ones they replace. I ended up buying new ones from BSA.

I also had the rims polished, but wish I'd had them powdercoated along with the hubs... That's a job I plan on doing over winter.
handsomejackuk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: wheel rebuilding Reply with quote

Kendo,

will let you know the name of the guy that rebuilds wheels. he quoted me £75 a wheel stainless steel spokes..... he is based in caerphilly... when i get 5 mins i'll look him up..
handsomejackuk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: bleed nipple Reply with quote

thanks for info on bleed nipple. i did notice ball in hole was lucky not to lose it will either get replacement or spray original nipple black as hate to see rusty stuff on my bike......

Al
Fil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: wheel rebuilding Reply with quote

handsomejackuk wrote:
Kendo,

will let you know the name of the guy that rebuilds wheels. he quoted me £75 a wheel stainless steel spokes..... he is based in caerphilly... when i get 5 mins i'll look him up..

I got mine done at Central Wheel Components near Birmingham. Can't remember how much though...
handsomejackuk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: guy to rebuild Mz wheels Reply with quote

Here we go anyone want to give him a try i did phone him a while ago and he quoted me £75 a wheel stainless spokes..

Just cleaned my rear wheel today and its not looking to bad. the paint is starting to come of the hub which will prob need doing next year after our lovely winter

Spokes Wheel Re-Building
71, The Crescent, Bedwas, Caerphilly, Mid Glamorgan CF83 8AG
Tel: 029 2086 1452
Motorcycle Repairs & Service

REgards Al....
Fil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: guy to rebuild Mz wheels Reply with quote

handsomejackuk wrote:

Just cleaned my rear wheel today and its not looking to bad. the paint is starting to come of the hub which will prob need doing next year after our lovely winter

If I was you, I'd get your hubs powdercoated now, whilst your wheels are in bits. I'm glad I did mine as they look much better in shiny gloss black Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MZ/MuZ Riders Forum Index :: 660 cc All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: