MZ Riders    
A Community for owners and riders of MZ Motorcycles, Scooters, and ATVs.    

Carb leaking from o/flow.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kendo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Carb leaking from o/flow. Reply with quote

Has anyone had problems with the main carb leaking from the overflow on the bottom of the floatbowl. It only happens sometimes, especially if the bike is allowed to fall from the vertical onto it`s sidestand,i have checked the float assembly and all seems ok. Any thoughts would be gratefully recieved.

Kendo.
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia usa .You know the PARTS have been SHIPPED when the MAIL MAN knocks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: rt Reply with quote

what model do you have its not in your profile or listing

my rt125 does once in a while most often when the angle of the ground
and side stand make it lean way over
Very Happy

http://www.mzriders.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=30
www.qrz.com/wd8cyv
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kendo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Carb o/flow Reply with quote

Sorry i should have mentioned that the bike is a Baghira S/moto with the stock KT carb.

Kendo.
basser23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: float bowl leak Reply with quote

Kendo
Does it leak when running or when stopped? Fuel on or off?
Mine does the same thing..Skorpion though..it is probably the needle
and seat for the fuel not closing..check float height.. not the easiest
thing to do without taking them off of course....sounds to me like the float level is too high,or stuck,and the needle is not closing when fuel on..
Still have to check mine out....no time yet...grr....
Chip
Fil

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a problem with my carb overflowing after I put the old girl back on the road after a long (too long!) lay-up.

I ended up stripping the carbs as the jets were gummed up and the problem has been cured. As Basser says, it's almost certainly down to the needle attached to the float not closing properly. If this happens, fuel will just run out of the tank, into the float bowl and out of the overflow. What should happen is that the float bowl fills until the float pushes the needle against it's seat and stops any more fuel entering the float bowl.

The reason the needle isn't seating is probably due to either:
- Float height is set wrong (doesn't close needle until the fuel has reached the overflow)
- Float is leaking (ie it doesn't float anymore as its full of petrol instead of air!)
- Float/needle is sticking (can be cured by cleaning float chamber, needle and seat.

Try giving the float bowl a sharp tap with a soft faced mallet next time it overflows - if it stops overflowing then chances are it's a sticking needle.

Unfortuantely all of the above will require you taking the float bowl off the carb as a minimum. I'm not sure if you will be able to do this with the carbs on the bike, and they're a beeeeeaaatch to get off!!
kendo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Carb leaking Reply with quote

Hi,
I thought it was a float height issue but the carb only leaks sometimes when the bike is not running and the petrol is switched on. I had a look at the float assembly and it is operating correctly (if i remove the floatbowl and switch the petrol on the flow of petrol stops when i lift the float up). If the float was set at wrong height then wouldn`t it leak all the time??.

As you stated removing the bowl on the bike is a nightmare due to the standard crossheaded screws, if you ever remove the bowl/carb then fit M4 x 12 cap screws, it makes it far easier the next time.

Kendo.
hb7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing the carb bowls is relatively easy if you remove the starter. There almost no reason to ever pull the carbs....to service the carbs. Note if you are cleaning the carbs on the bike, use WD40 not carb cleaner.....
basser23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Carb overflow Reply with quote

Henri,
Use WD40 instead of carb cleaner? hmm....I know WD is very flammible,
but I must say I've never heard of it to clean carb internals...I HAVE heard
of using SeaFoam spray though....albeit in the fuel..
Chip
hb7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carb cleaner will destroy the paint everywhere it splashes.
WD40 is sufficient to clean out moderate gummed carbs and do no harm to rubber,plastic or paint.

What is Sea foam?
basser23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Carb overflow Reply with quote

Henri,
SeaFoam is a petro based chemical used to clean out fuel systems,oiling
systems,and diesel systems..I found out about it from the Gpz forum.
Do a Google search on it..it was enev available at my local True Value
hardware store. I added some to my tank on the Skorp when it was runnig
poorly...spitting and popping etc..cleared it up pretty good...and quickly I might add...check it out.
Chip
hb7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember pushing the bike home 5 miles because I was stranded by bad fuel in a bad neighborhood. I tried starting it after draining the fuel...but it wouldn't idle , ran like crap.
When I removed the bowl there was gummy residue which I suspect no gasoline additive could have removed to solve my problem.
basser23

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: carb overflow Reply with quote

Henri,
That sucks! I now use Seafoam as a preventitive measure...seems to work fine...I suspect that goo you had was from years of junk...so many
additive in the gas turn to gelatinous globs after awhile...
Chip
edec

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ratio of gas/Seafoam is appropriate for a gummed up carb on a bike that sat for 2 months? Also could straight carb cleaner be mixed with gas then poured into the tank?
Thanks, Ed

hb7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edec.. the reason that isn't going to work is because once the primary jets get clogged and you can't run the bike for the seafoam to work. Seafoam is more for maintaining the system.
In only 2 months, you should be able to drain all the oldgas out, and just use fresh gas. It takes a year for the gas to turn into varnish...

Furthermore, any carb cleaner which drips on the engine will
eat the paint. It is impossible to use carb cleaner with the carbs on the bike....without making a disastrous mess.

Peace out...
BAR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: slightly OT... Reply with quote

My local mechanic is asking for the part numbers for both the float valve assembly and float bowl gasket parts for the carbs off an '04 Black Panther. Anyone have these #'s handy, so he can order them?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MZ/MuZ Riders Forum Index :: 660 cc All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: