MZ Riders    
A Community for owners and riders of MZ Motorcycles, Scooters, and ATVs.    

Swing arm chain protector

View previous topic :: View next topic  
m4panther

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Swing arm chain protector Reply with quote

after 17 and half thousand miles I need a new one will an xt-660 work? Anyone ever blow the back out of an M4 can? now I have two bikes collecting dust in the garage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
phlat65

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not the same swing arm. I would look at one for a mid 90's KTM LC4. there are also aftermarket ones that fit multiple apps. maybe pop into your local off road shop.
Chris Hunsicker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, has no one figured out how to make one of these? I just replaced my chain guard with one a had in my parts inventory. But it's my last one.

Has anyone tried just ordering from MZ or dealer?

What about gluing on a square of some sort of synthetic material, like teflon, or hard plastic? One doesn't really need it to cover the front, rounded part of the swing arm. Maybe not the bottom either.

Just an idea.

-Chris
Chris Hunsicker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blow out the back of a can? Not exactly, but I've blown the packing material out of a Holeshot. I've also cracked the back of the can in a low-side on the track. Luckily, both of these cans are rather serviceable, and the end cap should be replaceable, if that is what you lost. Same with the core, and the baffle material should be available at any shop that services dirt bikes. In a jam, you can use the pink itchy insulation that's in your attic.

You may need to drill new holes in the can, but in any case you will need a pop rivet gun.

Easy schmeezy.

-Chris
Bill Jurgenson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is quite simple really. All you have to do is take a strip of nylon or polyethylene as wide as the swingarm top and about 10" long and mount that on top in leu of the original by drilling and tapping small screws into the swingarm - obviously not directly under the chain.
There was a pictured directions in the dutch MZ forum somewhere.

For my part, I keep the original part "on stock." They are cheap and plentiful.
Which reminds me that I have to order a few again.

b

http://www.william-jurgenson.com
http://www.zabernet.de/bill/tuning.html
http://www.appel-tooling.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
OLDMTNCARVER

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
I have an 2001 Baghira and have noticed that later models have a chain guide on the underside of the swingarm right before the rear sproket. I can only think that it's an improvement but at the same time think that the suspension on the Baghira really isn't moveing as much as a motocrosser or off road bike.
What's your opinion?
PS I'm in the process, USDs for the 660 and have to say that your track/road bikes front end is inspireing!
Regards,
Robert
Bill Jurgenson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

protecting the underside is only necessary with off-road suspensions.

Retrospectively, I do not recommend installing an USD fork unless you are seriously into real racing. For the street, it is a waste of time. My green bike was never a MZ out of the showroom. It was put together from parts taken from a new Skorpion Sport and a new SZR, using the fork, wheels, brakes, electrics and engine from the Yamaha and frame and tank from the MZ. THe frame was later supplanted by a prototype frame gotten from the MZ test shop. In stock condition, however, the Paioli USD from the SRZ is not as good as the RSU from the Skorpion as I learned in the process.

If you can't resist the rebuild look for something better like an R6 front end complete with wheel and brakes. You will need to exchange the steering tube or make a new one to fit. I have done it a couple of times.
Recently I modified a Showa fork from an Aprilia Tuono to fit into an SZR which was mostly turning a new steering tube and shrinking it into the Showa yoke.

Gabel.jpg
 Description:
here with 3,5" PVM alu wheel installed. The owner opted to use the 3" Brembo wheel instead.
 Filesize:  67.1 KB
 Viewed:  1651 Time(s)

Gabel.jpg

unten.jpg
 Description:
from the bottom of the bottom yoke
 Filesize:  61.16 KB
 Viewed:  1651 Time(s)

unten.jpg

http://www.william-jurgenson.com
http://www.zabernet.de/bill/tuning.html
http://www.appel-tooling.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MZ/MuZ Riders Forum Index :: 660 cc All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: