MZ Riders    
A Community for owners and riders of MZ Motorcycles, Scooters, and ATVs.    

RT125 Engine-Extent of repair before Removal from frame.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MZ/MuZ Riders Forum Index :: Mechanic/Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djsbriscoe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: RT125 Engine-Extent of repair before Removal from frame. Reply with quote

Hi,
Now that my RT125 engine will not start (approx 50% loss of compression) I have to do a leak down test to determine where the problem is.
What I would like to know is can the piston rings be removed/inspected/replaced without the engine being removed from the frame?
The manual says that work can be carried out on the cylinder head with the engine in situ, but does not mention the cylinder block.
As the cylinder block is thinner than the head I assume that it will lift off the studs OK.
Does anyone have any experience of removing the engine from the frame.
I do not have the luxury of a garage, a winch or any other havy duty equipment, so I have to use something else.
I've thought of using an inflatable ball under the engine, a transmission cradle and a trolley jack (too expensive) and a wide plank of wood supported at he ends with books!
Has anyone else any ideas.
I won't go into why this is even needed on a new bike (oil overfilling by the dealer maybe?).
Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

David.

DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia usa .You know the PARTS have been SHIPPED when the MAIL MAN knocks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: rt Reply with quote

after looking at my spare motor and running bike
it seems most of the engine can be serviced in the frame

the engine must be split to do any crank or transmission work

you need to inspect the valves in the head before removing the barrel and piston
check valve to cam gap a shim may be too big
then inspect head carefully for bad valves or cracks or the simple one a bad head gasket.. test oil see if any antifreeze is in it ...

ar dave

http://www.mzriders.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=30
www.qrz.com/wd8cyv
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MZ/MuZ Riders Forum Index :: Mechanic/Tech Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: