MZ Riders    
A Community for owners and riders of MZ Motorcycles, Scooters, and ATVs.    

Missing Posts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
borisattva
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Missing Posts Reply with quote

Dear fellow MZ Riders,

As some of you have noticed there was a significant chunk of posts disappearing from the board on the 31AUG2006.

I have confirmed with my hosting provider that this was a result of a major overhault on the backbone of their system. They had extensive upgrades in php and database among other things. As a result some of the db and forum code seized to function due to forward compatibility issues, and had to be removed. Back ups are available, but they are unuseable with the new system (otherwise the transition would have been seemless to us).

The loss of content is undeniably upsetting; however the providers upgrade was unavoidable.

In the Good News department, it looks like the phpbb3 (successor of phpbb2 that we use now) is coming up very nicely.
Among improvements is a more effecient gallery and file attachment engine, as well as the Article component that will make documents like How-Tos and Parts Compatibility easier to create and browse (read: back up and made available offline). The board is in Beta2 stage now, and i anticipate it becoming stable enough for upgrade in the next 2-3 months or so.

Our little board survived MZ's pull out of the US, and hopefully it will survive this dump in the road as well.

As always, I'm open to member suggestions, be it regarding lay out or functionality of the board, both mod and software package wise.

Thank you all for the membership and contribution to our site.

Boris
MZRiders.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia usa .You know the PARTS have been SHIPPED when the MAIL MAN knocks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: like Reply with quote

I like the look and and lay out of this site better than any other i go to...
I hope we can keep the site up and working for every one

as even though MZ has departed the us market there are a bunch
of fine mz bikes out there that can still be ridden if we are all here to support each other in there use with info and parts sources
ar dave

http://www.mzriders.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=30
www.qrz.com/wd8cyv
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia usa .You know the PARTS have been SHIPPED when the MAIL MAN knocks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: sign in problem Reply with quote

IF YOU ARE HAVING A SIGN IN PROBLEM AND JOINED THE SITE
BETWEEN JULY 20 2006 AND AUG 31 2006
PLEASE CHECK THE MEMBERS LIST AND SEE IF YOU WERE DUMPED
YOU MAY HAVE TO JOIN AGAIN IF YOUR PROFILE IS MISSING
AR DAVE

http://www.mzriders.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=30
www.qrz.com/wd8cyv
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
e

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how difficult it is to maintain these types of forums.

I appreciate all the hard work and time you put into it. (as well as any others who are involved in moderation/maintenance etc)

e
Wonky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately when you edit these forums when PHP updates are made they will conflict with any customised folders and inevitably compatibility issues arise due to ALL forum updates being based on the original forum directory. It is a complete nightmare even with e-commerce shopping carts alike. The best option is to keep any customisation to a bare minimum this way future conflicts will be kept to a bare minimum. Unfortunately code-kids will always try to hack forums as the database of e-mail address's is extremely useful to some coders. Protecting this information is ni-on impossible but keeping up-to-date on exploits is extremely important to protect against bots. Hackers will send out bots to attack known vulnerabilities. Setting up a script to back-up your forum every 24hrs will protect it then you can re-release your forum and update it as it was but with the up-to-date exploit fix. Contact me if you would like details on the script to set up automated back-ups, it heavily compress's files and is easy to restore and backs up while you sleep. Although you may lose a few hours posts you will keep everything prior to hacking. The encription is exceptional and paramount. I am open to becoming a moderator if you wish, i monitor three other forums anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MZ/MuZ Riders Forum Index :: Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: