MZ Riders    
A Community for owners and riders of MZ Motorcycles, Scooters, and ATVs.    

Yamaha Raptor Race Motor.....how much can I use?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MZ/MuZ Riders Forum Index :: Mechanic/Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wonky

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok listen all the ideas of 14000RPM 150+MPH....not gonna happen! Not on a Supermoto. If your running a downdraft head on the Raptor engine then the MUZ frame can be modified, i have a frame already modified for a downdraft head which was used on our Supermoto competition bike. Putting the Raptor engine straight in could be done but i think, as already suggested, your missing the point! The XT660 engine can be safely tuned with the 105mm piston kit and bore to 80+ BHP, anything after that and you've got serious issues. All this lightening and weight saving jargon will get your power output in a muddle. Certain parts need to have resistence to help produce power, thats the way the engines designed. Too much lightening and you will indeed effect Torque at the rear wheel. Overtuning will have the opposite effect and turn your bike into a rev screaming go nowhere fast bike. You have to find a happy medium and compremise in areas, otherwise everyone would be out tuning and lightening the ass off everything and winning BSB AMA MOTOGP, etc, etc. PUt it into perspective, you have a great tuned engine and some parts will fit the MUZ engine and if its that cheap then your quids in. Buy the parts for the bottom end XT660 engine and smack the two halves together then see what ya got. Pushing a supermoto to over 150 is serious shit that will see you six foot undfer if your not careful. The aerodynamics of the bike, or lack of, tells you all the physics you need to know. The engine in our MZ Factory bike puts out 80+ BHP. 90MPH in first gear and flats out at 163MPH. This took two years of development before it proved its pedigree. These are not somply engines that can have jet fuel, nitrous, turbos, dishwashers and everything else just stuck to them. It takes engineers years to develope these and we have smashed the shit out of some engines testing them, be careful how far you push them and tweak to a happy medium. At the end of the day you want a bike that has mid range torque that rips you out of corners or up straights, tons of grip and maybe the odd wheelie or two when you require it, you get all that from a 70BHP thats topping at less than 9000RPM and will hold its own on a race circuit let alone on the street. Keep it in perspective is my advice, hey i'm all out for testing to destruction but when your on a budget, lets not be too silly! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MZ/MuZ Riders Forum Index :: Mechanic/Tech Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: