MZ Riders    
A Community for owners and riders of MZ Motorcycles, Scooters, and ATVs.    

Re-tuning carb for high altitude tour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MZ/MuZ Riders Forum Index :: Mechanic/Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrShitake

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re-tuning carb for high altitude tour Reply with quote

Hi, I own a Traveller and I live at six feet above sea level. I want to take my bike to Colorado this summer. (14,000 ft. above sea level.) I need advice on how to tune my carbs so it :
A: won't flood out on Pikes peak..(running too rich)...or
B: burn up my valves after decending back to sea level...(running too lean)

I installed a Supertrapp pipe from Galen at Bikeworx, and ordered a jet kit, which I haven't installed, yet.

My questions: could I tune the bike to run well at high altitudes and use the choke to let it run well at lower altitudes on the way up there?

Will I need to retune the bike on the side of the road along the way??

I have been told that running an engine lean will burn up the valves. Is this an issue with a water cooled bike?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated, thanks, Gary

pwillikers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the least, I'd not install the jet kit 'til after the tour. It'd just make rich richer. I bet Galen has an opinion. I've spoken to him on the phone several times. He's very willing to help with advice. If you call him, post what he says.
whysub01

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode my Baggi in the mountainms of Corsica last year, and the Ardeche region of France the year before, at some 3,000m above sea level with some loss of power, but no problems. And it wasn't toured, but thrashed to the rev limiter at EVERY oppotunity with no carb mods at all, but running a very unrestricted Carbon Can Co end can. HTH
MrShitake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Carb compensators Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the feedback! I found a site that sells automatic carb compensators.....www.holtzmaneng.com....check 'em out and let me know what you think. Have you ever heard of these, or know if they are reliable and effective? I'm going right now to talk to a local mechanic to get his opinion if I would even have any problems on a carbed bike.

Thanks again, Gary

DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia usa .You know the PARTS have been SHIPPED when the MAIL MAN knocks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: high alt problems Reply with quote

i have been to COLORADO about 15 times on a bike
and only did jet changes one time ...and have had very little
problem with the bikes

the problem with us flat landers is US
when you go over 6000 feet we huff and puff and fall down
i would recomend a training program for the rider
designed to get you breathing better and more lung power between now and the trip
and when there be carefull and do not over do it

if you are a walker or runner plan on not doing that there unless
you cut it to about 1/3 ie if you run 3 miles each day try 1 and see how you do i beleave run at home in the low lands walk in colorado

i want all my mz rider friends to come back from there tours in good health
ar dave

PS my uncle has lived in colorado for 46 years and said once he had hauled
more oxygen starved sick texas deer hunters out of the mountains than he had shot deer.... he shook his finger at me and said test your limits but be very carefull doing it and know one breaths very good above 10,000 feet

http://www.mzriders.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=30
www.qrz.com/wd8cyv
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MZ/MuZ Riders Forum Index :: Mechanic/Tech Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: