MZ Riders    
A Community for owners and riders of MZ Motorcycles, Scooters, and ATVs.    

removal of air box.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
handsomejackuk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: removal of air box. Reply with quote

Hi,

Last year I had the rear subframe off to mod my rear end. Does anyone know implications on removal of stock air box and k and n air filters or use of the standard sponge item without the air box. Would really clean up my rear end if i could ditch the air box. Also would like to remove chain guard and and big ally chain guide thing under the swing arm what is it there for ?

Alun.
basser23

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun,
The k&n's I am going to use on my Sport are RC 1250(rt side) and RC 1820(left side) (the rc 1820 is spec'd for the Szr 660 Yamaha as an alternative)
Get in touch with Slipstream Tuning for thier advice to be sure...
Chip
hb7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airbox is for the government authorities, intake noise reduction, weather protection and to provide the "hard to grasp concept" of a reservoir of calm air...
I note that racers always trash the airbox.

You will need the chain guard rubber to protect the top of the swingarm. You can lose the hugger..
ZzerO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm thinking of mounting some k&n's too, but is there a noticable difference in performance in comparison with the stock airbox?

and is it wise to have k&n's when riding in all kinds of weather?

greetz
handsomejackuk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: removal of air box. Reply with quote

HB7,

what do you mean by hugger are you referring to the chainguard. Also does anyone know the reason for the chainguard thing under the swing arm is this purely safety or is it a guide for the chain running on to the sprocket. Thanks for the reply on K and N Filters May look into this but only for fine weahter riding as i think they would get pretty dirty when it is wet. B.T.W. just fitted my BSM VAmpire pipe in place of BSM Future. And can truly say that it has really transformed my bike feels so much torquier and can pull 30mph now in 5th gear whereas before with BSM future on bike would be veryy jerky at 30 mph in 5th...

Cheers for now Alun
hb7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chainguard is rubber around bottom and top of swing arm....you need this to protect the swing arm from the chain.

hugger is plastic fender....not essential for operation.

If it's raining hard enough you could suck water through foam filters...probably something manufacturers have to worry about more so than individuals.

If you want to sell airbox, I'm interested.
handsomejackuk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: removal of air box. Reply with quote

hb7,

no the bit i am referring to is the guide thing large aluminium braket under the swing arm on the rear of the bike it has plastic or ruber guides in it. I have never taken it off so not really sure what it does. other bikes dont have this monstrosity on them why does a baghira need this large unsightly piece of engineering.

Alun
whysub01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bit you are referring to on your Baghira is a chain guide, and I see no reason why it cnnot be removed-but I don't know anyone who has.

The hugger and the upper rubber chain guide on the swing arm are fitted to the Sport & Skorpion, not the Baggi & Mastiff. I think hb7 may think you have a Skorpion.

hb7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, rear lower chain guide because the Baggy has more suspension travel than Skorp.....I wouldn't NOT remove that.
It's not for there for style...
whysub01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hb7 wrote:
Ok, rear lower chain guide because the Baggy has more suspension travel than Skorp.....I wouldn't NOT remove that.
It's not for there for style...

Agreed-I wouldn't remove it, but some other supermoto's such as some KTM's don't have one, whereas the off road version does. Suppose that with the road version Baggi it was easier to leave it on than remove it (seeing as they share the chassis).

Bill Jurgenson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I note that racers always trash the airbox.

by no means! There are two camps here, one pro and one contra.

I run open myself, as do most. I have 60mm long intake manifolds and 2" stacks on the carbs (Dual Mikuni 38mm)

The real hot contenders all run airboxes - BIG airboxes.
best example, the Slipstream works bike
http://www.teamslipstream.co.uk/andydriver/index.html
take a good close look at that one. What looks like the tank is the airbox cover. Pic 21 shows the top with the cover removed: you see the twin Keihins and the LONG intake manifolds.

Tim Barker's SZR also has a big airbox with ramair. On he SRZ, what looks like the tank actually covers the airbox, too.

The problem is that big capacity singles need very big airboxes if they are going to be of any use. 2 gallons at least, and the carb(s) must be inside with short, very wide bell mouths.
One of the earliest to go the airbox route was the Ducati SuperMono and its box is over 8ltrs for a 570cc engine. Look closely and you can see the top of the bit thing in front of the tank; rmember this a flat engine:

In classic naked or semi naked bikes, such monsters are not possible, so most in fact do run open. This is by far better than running a too small air box. much easier to set up as well.

As for street use, the stock airbox in the Skorpion is a joke. It only real use to cathc the oil from the crankcase vent and this is mandatory. I have enlarged a stock airbox as far as possible in the stock seat frame - about twice the capacity - but there is only little gain to be had, 'cause it is just way too small. It is better than stock, but that's all. I have also run both the dual TM34 and the bikeworx kit TM42 with a K&N. Easier to set up and definitely better, but also unacceptably louder where such things are a registration problem. The bigger airbox is also quite a bit louder than the stock item.

b

http://www.william-jurgenson.com
http://www.zabernet.de/bill/tuning.html
http://www.appel-tooling.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hb7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction : I note that the low budget ricky racers....
seem to trash the stock airbox. I run with the stock airbox myself....Thanks for clarifying this point bill.
Chris Hunsicker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henri, I'm a low budget ricky-racer. You got a problem with that?

Here's how I ran with a stock modified airbox for a long time. Worked great.

I realize it goes counter to the principles of large-capacity airboxes. I'll leave the reasons why up to the experts.

My main reason for doing this was just to clean up the site lines.

More pics here:

http://www.philadelphiariders.com/gallery/album40/P7260057

-Chris, Philadelphia

Bill, you get my email?

P7260058.sized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  62.79 KB
 Viewed:  2864 Time(s)

P7260058.sized.jpg

hb7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem with Ricky Racer, I know how difficult it is to do *successful* mods on a bike....the hours spent without adequate tooling, spares , dyno runs etc...

All the high points of running an MZ in the USA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MZ/MuZ Riders Forum Index :: 660 cc All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: