MZ Riders    
A Community for owners and riders of MZ Motorcycles, Scooters, and ATVs.    

Wonky's Slipstream MZ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Wonky's Slipstream MZ... Reply with quote

Some of you may remember that Wonkys bike was tested and reviewed by Streetfighter magazine a few months ago. I havent seen it yet but apparently Septembers issue contains the finished review and from what he has said it is a pretty good one !!! Very Happy
Those of you overseas that want a copy may be able to source one through www.themagazineman.co.uk as I think they will ship worldwide.
Cheers
Garf

basser23

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: stmz Reply with quote

Garf,
I had the opportunity to see (and hear...wow!!!)this beast in June when me and the mrs were over in Bromley ..Fantastic..Mark offered to let me ride it, but due to weather and gravel I had to decline....wouldnt want to mess it up any...cant wait to read the review.
Chip

USA
Garf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, she looks better in the 'flesh' than in the pics and sounds amazing. Mark (and others) certainly put in a lot of effort to get her finished and I am looking forward to reading the article .....I still havent found a copy of the mag yet ....gutted.
whysub01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot find Streetfighter magazine anywhere near me- hope i will find a copy at the airport on my way out to work. Saw Wonky on Saturday, and he had left his copy at home!!!

His bike is stripped down awaiting his engine to be fitted and a few other bits. Still looks bloody great though.

AND finally I stripped my bike down to the rolling chassis and delivered to Wonky on Saturday. He is to machine the spacers for my (Yamaha YZ) Upside Down Forks and the bracket for the Beringer 6 pot calliper and fit them to my bike. Hoped to habve my new wheels too, but there seems to have been a little trouble with the coaters that Wonky is pursuing for me.

So, two years after having an engine big bored, flowed and fitted with a race cam, it looks like it will soon be up and running. Well, in about two years time if this project progresses at the same rate!!!!

Fil

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do say that good things come to those who wait!

Maybe Wonky should start making a spacer kit to fit the YZ forks - I'm sure there would be quite a few people interested in a 'DIY' YZ fork fitting kit...
whysub01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonky has two Baggi's in at the moment for him to fit YZ forks. Once he has worked out how to fit them, and machine the spacers, I am positive he will be selling a spacer kit.

I bought my forks for £50 from eBay-although they do need new seals. Again, Wonky is sorting those out too.

MSW

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whysub, is Wonky fitting just the YZ fork legs to the existing Baggy tree (thus, just the need for spacers)?

Also, what year of YZ forks did you get (or does it matter)? If he does indeed start selling a spacer kit that he can ship to the U.S., I want to start scouting for a couple of reasonably priced YZ fork legs.

Thanks!

keithcross

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure the YZ forks legs need new triple clamps as they are way bigger in diameter than the standard fork legs.
Whysub. I was over at Slipstream today, watching Wonky working his but off. He was their with just the office girl for help Smile
Saw your chassis and wheels (intresting clour). Saw Wonky's beast patially stripped, no engine or body panels.

Keith

whysub01

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bougt the complete forks, including the Yokes /triple clamps and handlebar clamps-they can be obtained quite cheaply, as oppssed to the price of a set of secondhand Ohlins Shocked that I would have liked to have used.

Wonky is EXTREMELY busy, and I know Wonky can only do it when and if he has spare time. He has his mates to do too, so at least having to do two sets will make it easier. If you look at the job he did getting the Ohlins to fit, the YZ ones should be easy (God, I hope he doesn't read this!!!!).

The wheel colour I chose is cetainly "interesting" but the rims and the hubs do match the green of the MZ badge.

Although it won't be an exact STMZ copy, it will show what can be done (thanks to Wonky-and Slipstreams-hard developement work) bit by bit. as and when money allows. My engine is in a similar state of tune, same carbs, but other stuff (such as brakes, exhaust, suspension and cosmetics) will differ. For now that is, but like Wonky's bike, mine will be a rolling project, and I am sure I will incorporate the ideas he has not yet had in mty bike in the future! I just hope he doesn't copyright anything he does!!.

whysub01

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the forks needed are Yamaha YZ/YZF/WR 425 or 450 ones. I was very lucky to get mine at such a great price. They don't seem to fetch too many offers on ebay, and if they start at a reasonable price, you maybe lucky.
OLDMTNCARVER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSW,
I was able to get a spare frame to do the fit up of a YZ front end.
I bought an 03 set of forks that need to be shorter by two inchs, no big deal as I have to get the spring weight right for me anyway.
The forks came with a TAG top tree so I got hold of TAG and puchased a lower and stem set.
They provided the lower clamp and stem with a YZ bearing which the OD being the same size as the MZ, cool!
I would think that any after market steering head set would come with the lower bearing installed as it is pressed on and that works better when you consider ease of installation, marketing and PR towards the MX industry.
The used market is really good price wise and Ebay can offer some quality parts at cheep prices.
I hope to make spacers and get the mock up done soon.
fasrnu's MZ had USDs on it but the tripple tree was custom (extra wide) for tire clearance.
Mark in the past had mentioned that the clearance is tight and might be why he also made custom triple trees for his SS tarmac terror
And asking some questions to the YZ camp on SMJ I found out that the standard YZ front end has about an 1/8 of an inch for clearance between the fork and the tire (a 120) and that the fork leg guards have to be trimmed for clearance as well.
The various manufactures will have the bearing / year applications listed.
I believe that 98 - 03 YZ are the same and without doubt know the 03 bearings OD are the same as the 01 Baghiras head set that I've measured.
Hope this helps some.
Regards,
Robert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MZ/MuZ Riders Forum Index :: 660 cc All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: