MZ Riders    
A Community for owners and riders of MZ Motorcycles, Scooters, and ATVs.    

Looking for a new Community webware, open to suggestions..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
borisattva
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Looking for a new Community webware, open to suggestions.. Reply with quote

Howdy folks,

As witttom pointed out, its been a while since any announcements, and this is somewhat an important one.
As some of you know the board has been hacked a while back, and ever since then i began looking for an alternative package.
This one is actually a nice one, its open source, has a fairly decent amount of enhancement pacakges, but as open source somewhat unreliable in which packges maintain development, how polished they are and in a sense also how secure they are.

So here I'm on the market for a community soft package, and thought id recah out to our members and see if anyone has had good experiences with some particular ones.

Essential Features we need as a community:

Forum System w
File attachments
Photo Gallery, both public and personal
Article submittion module
(allowing member to submit How-to's/Experiences etc.
with moderator approval and formatting)
Media Library
(manuals, video and audio a plus)
Wiki reference (general database of user submittable info,
like parts compatibility

+ anything else that you folks would liek to see and most of us agree as a good addition.

Free ofcourse is preffred, but if its a commercial product with a license that is not sky high, i will consider investing in that as well. if the pacakeg is really what we all need here.

So please submit your suggestions and recommendations here or in priv message, and hopefully we'll figure out a new medium for this great community.

Boris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
witttom

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: www.localriders.com Software Reply with quote

My virtual home online is www.localriders.com and find the environment to be quite comfortable. It has a similiar feel to what we are using here. I believe they are using a combination of vBulletin, VBportal, PhotoPost, and some other addons. Some of this stuff is free, but I know other others parts come at a cost. I don't know the specifics. I do know that the software is fairly customizable to give the group pretty much whatever look and feel you're going for (heck, LocalRiders is always seeing improvements). Whatever you go with, I would try not to make it LOOK too different all at once. Change is necessary to keep up with the times and to take advantage of improvements, but too much change too fast will freak people out and maybe scare some away. Wink
99 Triumph Trophy 1200 Dual-Sport
02 MZ 125SM StreetMoto
03 MiniMax Z40 4Sale/Trade
04 SkyTeam ST50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
cdfisher
MZ Dealer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't found anything that is as full featured as the PHPBB2 stuff. The WowBB.com stuff looks great for features, but the look and feel is pretty lame. I'm going to stick with the PHPBB2 stuff I have on-tap (coming on-line soon). What did you do to create your customized home page?

I'd like to create something of the same.

Thanks...

www.mapsp.com
borisattva
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdfisher wrote:
I haven't found anything that is as full featured as the PHPBB2 stuff. The WowBB.com stuff looks great for features, but the look and feel is pretty lame. I'm going to stick with the PHPBB2 stuff I have on-tap (coming on-line soon). What did you do to create your customized home page?

I'd like to create something of the same.

Thanks...

Frontpage is the phpbb portal (check out the credits footer of each page load for link to smartor website) it took some coding to configure and adjust it.. which was a fun learning experience, just like every other plugin/mod i had to install for this webiste. however with multiple version of each mod, pros/cons, security flaws etc, it becomes extremely cumbersome to keep updating the board with multiple mods. This is why the need for a different, more complete package arose; to keep updates, features, and security issue under control with less hours on downtime and twekaing etc.

i Have actually found 2 potential packages and will be installing them on a test server in the coming weeks. Please keep dropping in your suggestions and whatever input you may have for our future community look and abilities.
jim grace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: software Reply with quote

Sorry i do not have the knowledge,or expierence to make comment,but the site to date is excellent,and i have every confidance, that you are the man to develope the site. Cheers and thanks. Jim
wario

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: board Reply with quote

vBulletin seems to be among the best choices of the boards I frequent. Do you have "contributors"? I'd be happy to chip in to help with the costs. I figure I'll be here for awhile now that I've got my Skorpion Tour.

Thanks for what you do!

wario-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MZ/MuZ Riders Forum Index :: Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: