MZ Riders    
A Community for owners and riders of MZ Motorcycles, Scooters, and ATVs.    

HELP!!! I need an intake boot ASAP!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvanMac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: HELP!!! I need an intake boot ASAP! Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I was taking the carb off my bike to change jets for my cam kit (trying to solve my weak 6th gear problem) when I noticed the intake boot between the engine and carb was split and hanging out unter the clap! There was also a little fuel leaking around the edges so it is safe to say it was probably sucking air though the rip also! Crying or Very sad

That would explain why it seemed to be running lean in higher rpms!!! Maybe I don't even need the jet but the only way I will know is if I can get this boot fixed! Confused

The reason I need it ASAP is because I am riding the bike on the Trans-Amerca Trail on the 19th!!! I really need this fixed in time so I can finish jetting the carb and get the bike all tuned up and ready for the trip.... I planed on riding it on a couple short trips before then so I could work out any bugs...

Of course I have looked at repairing it but it is ripped right through the area under the clamp and the bead that seals it to the engine... I'm afraid it will not seal very good or could split back open again once I tighten the clamp...

I called Mike as SF Moto and he didn't have one and is having trouble getting ANY mz parts at this time...

So.... Do any of you guys have one?? Maybe a wrecked bike or old motor?? I would gladly pay a reasonable price and all shipping if you guys can help me... Thanks!!! Exclamation
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia usa .You know the PARTS have been SHIPPED when the MAIL MAN knocks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: 125 Reply with quote

Call Phil @ BSA Regal 011 44 23 8036 6404 , keep in mind they are about 7 or 8 hours ahead of the west coast time. Very professional service, should be able to have ANYTHING for your MZ in 5 to 10 days....
call him about 5am west coast time that should be about 11am his time
also see if your local car window installer has some goop that will fix problem
till new part arrives

ps check time id this off the top of my loose head Smile

http://www.mzriders.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=30
www.qrz.com/wd8cyv
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Drew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, hope someone has a spare. This part is 10 business days out from getting to your doorstep- I know, because I had to order one.

The boot also has a metal ring embedded in the rubber at the carb end. Odd fact, and doubt it helps you any Sad Also, you'll notice that the inner hose tapers towards the engine.

Here's my proposal: get an aluminum flange with the same ID as the carb's port. Note- it's not 24mm, even though it is a 24mm round slide! Off the top of my head, I think it's 30mm. This will be used to bolt directly to the VM24. Highly recommend some sort of gasket sealant as well. Then, get a bit of rubber hose to mate the new flange to the motor flange. It won't be as smooth a path as the stock setup, but it wll allow you to run the thing. Look up "Adapter flange" or "blow off adapter flange" in eBay Motors, and you'll see a number of sizes for turbo cars. The next step is selecting the right size. The adapter flanges run $10-$20.

This is the first I heard that they had problems getting parts at SFMoto. If so that's bad news (for MZ, SFMoto, and us in the US!).

EvanMac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I dicided to try and fix it anyway caus I had nothing to lose. I superglued the rip, then coated it with black rtv. I put a small bead of rtv on the inside also and was careful to just barley tighen the hose clamp. It seems to work. The super glue is holding the crack/rip! Keep in mind it is directly under the clamp so if it was to open up again I should be able to see it push out from under the clamp again. I also coate the outside of the boot and clamp with the rtv.

I think I will try to get an extra one comming from BSA monday... Most likely I will have to make the trip like this though. I will cary some glue and rtv with me.

Thanks to everyone with ideas... If you read this and have one laying around still let me know. It may still be a better option than BSA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MZ/MuZ Riders Forum Index :: 125 cc All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: